Valentine’s Day is around the corner, and two colors are on our mind – pink and red. Pink is our favorite lipstick color when we want to create an effortless, natural makeup look. But, red is the shade we choose when we want to stand out and feel confident. You may think a red lip is only for movie stars and women who drink everything out of straws. But we’re here to show you how easy it is to create a red pout that works with your style. Keep reading for simple tips from our Global Makeup Educators on how to wear red lipstick.
Beginner’s Guide: How to Wear Red Lipstick
If you rarely wear red lipstick, here are a few pointers from Global Makeup Educators Edgar Dominguez and Hannah Hatcher. With these four steps, you’ll have a soft, kiss-friendly pout all night.
Exfoliate First – “Red lipstick looks best on smooth, hydrated, plumped lips,” says Edgar. He recommends exfoliating and hydrating your lips with our Sugar & Butter Lip Exfoliator & Plumper before you even pick out your lipstick shade.
Define Your Lips – Use a lip liner that is a similar color to your lipstick (try Crimson Lip Pencil). This will give your lips natural definition. Hannah Suggests lining and filling in your lips with the same shade to help create a kiss-proof finish.
Use a Lip Brush – For the most precise look, Edgar recommends using our Retractable Lip Brush to apply the lipstick. The brush will make it easier to color inside your lip pencil line.
Set It, and Go! – For a matte stay-put pucker, Hannah likes to finish her red lipped look with a little Amazing Matte Loose Finish Powder. You can use your finger to gently dab it on over your lipstick.
Choosing the Right Red Lip for You
Red lip products come in many different shades and formulations. From the classic red lipstick à la Marilyn Monroe to a more natural red lip tint, we have you covered. Here are our favorite red lip products to use for a natural, classic or long-lasting look.
- “My favorite red shade that is youthful and flattering on all skin tones is Forever Red Just Kissed Lip and Cheek Stain,’ says Edgar. “It has the perfect balance of coral and red, leaving you with a smooth personalized signature red that stays.”
- Want to add a little shimmer to your candy apple lip? Product Trainer Christine Orcutt Savolis suggests topping your favorite lip product with Crabapple or Red Current PureGloss Lip Gloss.
The Classic Red
- If you are looking for the classic red lipstick, Hannah’s pick is Cindy PureMoist Lipstick.
- To ensure your lip color lasts through your romantic dinner, Global Makeup Educator Shawn Towne recommends using Lip Fixation. He says, “apply the stain from Passion Lip Fixation to your lips, then top it with Forever Pink Just Kissed Lip and Cheek Stain. The color it creates is really rich and beautiful.”
- Christine’s secret to a matte red is Hot PlayOn Lip Crayon. She also likes to layer it with Forever Red Just Kissed Lip and Cheek Stain for added staying power. “I always say when you want a red lip, you want it to last, ” she says. “Forever Red really stays and is easy to touch up later in the day.”
Glossy, matte and everything in between, we want to see how you rock a red lip. Post pictures of your #RedHotLips on Instagram. Use the hashtag and tag us @janeiredale and #GreenSpaCares
This post was written by Chelsea Simmons from the Jane Iredale Makeup Blog
You can find their blog here