Do you have a sugary donut in your hand? Here’s some news that will make you put down that donut and walk away: sugar ages you. Although there are lots of factors that ruin your skin, sugar is probably one of the worst offenders for outright aging your face and body.
Not only should you be avoiding sugar for dietary reasons (the new US health guidelines recommend you cut way back), you now have the added incentive of protecting your looks from the aging ravages of sugar. You heard it here first: Sugar is the new Big Bad.
HOW SUGAR DAMAGES YOUR SKIN
Sugar bonds with proteins in your body in a process called glycation. These sugar-bonded proteins produce free radicals which destroy your collagen and elastin, the building blocks that keep your skin strong and supple. They also harden collagen and elastin, and prevent the body from making more. All these effects mean your skin loses its elasticity, lines and wrinkles start to set in, and signs of aging become more visible.
5 SIGNS THAT SUGAR IS AGING YOUR FACE
The effects of sugar on your skin are so unique, there are tell-tale signs on your face that sugar is the culprit aging you:
1. The surface of your skin looks hard and shiny.
2. Deep, crosshatch lines appear along your upper lip.
3. Discoloration and hyperpigmentation mark the skin.
4. Deep crevices appear, especially around the laugh line area.
5. Skin around the jowl area is sagging.
HOW TO PREVENT SUGAR DAMAGE
The good news is that you’re never too late to prevent the signs of aging. Now you know about the damage that sugar can do to your skin, here’s how you can combat the destruction and look your best:
1. Cut back on your sugar intake, especially food containing high fructose corn syrup.
2. Supplement your diet with vitamins B1 and B6 (Prevention) which inhibit the damage caused by sugar-bonded proteins.
3. Eat food and use products with antioxidants like vitamin C which reduce free radical damage to the skin and body.
Our brand new Rosehip Triple C+E Firming Oil is infused with oil-based vitamin C that fights the visible signs of aging and smooths wrinkles. Its ingredients also work hard in a preventative way and help reduce further symptoms of aging skin. With regular use, your complexion will look hydrated, firmer and plumped. Target the sugar-fueled signs of aging with this unique facial oil and reveal your most beautiful, youthful-looking skin.
This post was written by Karen Young Chester from Eminence Organics.
You can find their blog here